Effective Date: June 1, 2016
I. Information Collection and Use
What Information Does GavelNote Collect About Me and Why?
If you register for or maintain a GavelNote service account:
We collect: Your username, email address, and contact preferences.
Why we collect it:
- To create and support your GavelNote service account.
- To communicate with you.
- To enable other users to collaborate with you through shared Notes and Outlines.
- To send you marketing emails and special offers, unless you opt-out as explained in the “Will GavelNote Contact Me?” section below.
- To verify your email address to help prevent spam, fraud and abuse.
We collect: Your name, image and other personal information, if you elect to share it
Why we collect it: To show in your user profile.
We collect: The geographic area where you use your computing devices when you interact with the Service and the device type and browser you're using.
Why we collect it:
- To localize your interaction with the Service and improve our understanding of how users interact with the Service.
- To help you verify use of your account: We record recent IP address history to help eliminate malicious interactions.
- To assist us in complying with legal restrictions that may limit the permissible use of the Service.
- To better serve you should a technical issue arise: knowing your device type and browser aids in assistance.
We collect: Actions you perform when accessing the Service, including your use of certain service features and your storage of particular forms of Content (e.g., PDFs or JPGs), as well as the type of device and software you are using.
Why we collect it:
- To administer the Service and improve the features and usability of the Service.
- To suggest to you GavelNote features, products and services that can enhance your use of the Service.
We collect: Your payment information
Why we collect it:
- To process your payment. (GavelNote uses third-party payment processors and therefore has only limited information about your payment transactions).
If you visit the GavelNote website:
Your email address (if you provide it).
Why we collect it:
- To help you create an GavelNote service account.
- To communicate with you.
What Tracking Information Does GavelNote Collect About Me Or My Devices?
What Is GavelNote’s Approach to Information Collected From Children?
GavelNote does not knowingly collect personal information from children without parental consent. If we learn that we have inadvertently obtained information in violation of applicable laws prohibiting collection of information from children without such consent, we will promptly delete it.
Will GavelNote Contact Me?
Participants in the Beta Program will receive occasional emails related to your enrollment in that program. Emails sent as part of the Beta Program cannot be opted out of. Beta Program emails will stop being sent once GavelNote is out of it's beta phase of development.
You will also continue to receive essential Service-related and account-related information, even if you unsubscribe from promotional emails.
II. Information Access and Disclosure
Does GavelNote Share My Personal Information or Content?
GavelNote is not in the business of selling or renting your information. Outside of actions you take within the Service to communicate, to share Notes or Outlines, or to authorize third-party applications, we only disclose your information - and then only the minimum information necessary - when:
- We have your explicit consent to share the information.
- We need to share your information with service providers who process data on our behalf in order to operate the Service, complete your payment transactions, and help us communicate with you as described elsewhere in this policy; these providers are subject to strict data protection requirements.
- We need to share your information with service providers to fulfill your product or service requests, including sales, delivery and support requests.
- We need to share your information with resellers of a Paid Service or product in order to ensure accuracy in the payment for such Paid Service or product, the management of your account and the delivery of your purchase and related support services.
- We believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of our Terms of Service, to enforce the Terms of Service, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud or potential threats against persons, property or the systems on which we operate the Service.
- We determine that the access, preservation or disclosure of information is required or permitted by law to protect the rights, property or personal safety of GavelNote and users of the Service, or is required to comply with applicable laws, including compliance with warrants, court orders or other legal process.
- We do so in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of our business, as permitted by applicable law.
Some third parties’ embedded content or plugins on the Service, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, may allow their operators to learn that you have visited our website, and they may combine this information with other, identifiable information they have collected about your visits to other websites or online services.
We do not share your account information or user activity history with third parties for the purpose of enabling them to deliver their advertisements to you. We may contract with third-party advertising networks in order to deliver relevant GavelNote advertisements to you across the Internet and to manage our communications with you.
In addition, we may share with partners or service providers a hashed identifier derived from the personal information you have submitted to us (such as your email address) to serve you ads when you visit partners’ and providers’ websites, applications or platforms. You may opt out of certain ad targeting and retargeting services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page, or the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page. We also may share a hashed identifier derived from the personal information you have submitted to us (such as your email address) with service providers who help us manage and track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts.
What Information Does GavelNote Share When I Share Notes?
The GavelNote service has a number of collaboration features, and when you use these features to collaborate with others, some of the personal information you provide to GavelNote, including your status as an GavelNote service user, may be visible to these other users:
- If you share a Note or Outline, or if you join a shared Note or Outline, then anyone who has access to that Note or Outline may see your user profile. (If you have not added any profile information, then you will be identified solely by the email address associated with your GavelNote service Account.)
- If you initiate or respond to a user message, then the person with whom you are messaging will be able to view some of your profile information.
In addition, anyone who has access to a shared Outline may be able to see – for each Note in that Outline – the Note contents, information about where and when the Note was created, as well as the Note history, tags and reminders associated with a particular Note.
What Gets Shared When I Use Third Party Apps With My GavelNote Account?
Does GavelNote Access or Review My Notes?
As a rule, GavelNote employees do not monitor or view your personal information or Content stored in the Service, but we list below the limited circumstances in which our employees may need to access or review your personal information or account Content:
- We believe our Terms of Service has been violated and confirmation is required or we otherwise have an obligation to review your account Content as described in our Terms of Service;
- We need to do so in order to respond to your request for support;
- Where necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of GavelNote and its users (including to protect against potential spam, malware or other security concerns); or
- In order to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders or other legal process. We vigilantly protect the privacy of your account Content and, whenever we determine it possible, we provide you with notice if we believe we are compelled to comply with a third party’s request for information about your account.
GavelNote also uses a number of technologies to help you get the most out of the Service. Our systems automatically analyze your data in order to power GavelNote features, such as search. The information we show you may include Notes from your own account, Notes from accounts you are connected to through GavelNote, and third party content that you have elected to receive. These are not advertisements. We believe features like these, which work automatically without any person at GavelNote reviewing your Content, will enhance your experience using the Service.
In addition, by detecting certain actions you take in your account (such as emailing Content into your account) or specific attributes associated with your Notes (such as whether your Notes contain PDFs or image files, or which application you use to create Notes), we may suggest GavelNote service features or products to you that we think will help you get the most out of our Service. We do not read or share of your account Content with anyone for any advertising purposes.
Last but not least, as part of our efforts to protect your account and the functionality of the Service, our automated systems may analyze the emails you send to and from your GavelNote service account to detect spam, malware or other potential security concerns and may block delivery of such emails.
Does GavelNote Ever Make Any of My Personal Information or Content Public?
No. Please note, however, that certain portions of the Service, such as user Outlines designated as “public” and our user forum, are open to any online viewer. By default your outlines and notes are not "public". Any information that you post in these locations can be read, collected and used by anyone and could enable others to send you unsolicited messages. GavelNote enables you to determine whether or not to post personal or otherwise sensitive information to publicly accessible areas of our site, so you should carefully consider how you use the Service. GavelNote is not responsible for any publication or use of any Personal Information you choose to post in these locations.
III. Data Storage and Transfer
Where Is My Data Stored?
Please be aware that Personal Information and Content submitted to GavelNote will be transferred to a data center in the United States. If you store information in or submit data to the GavelNote website, you are confirming your consent to such information, including Personal Information and Content, being transmitted to, hosted and accessed in the United States.
How Can I Access or Correct Information GavelNote Holds About Me?
If you wish to (i) access any Personal Information that we hold about you; (ii) request that we correct or delete the Personal Information that we hold about you; or (iii) request that we not use or stop using your Personal Information for marketing purposes, you may contact us via email at compliance AT GavelNote DOT com. We will comply with such requests to the extent required by law or our policies, and subject to any limitations in our systems.
How Secure Is My Data?
GavelNote is committed to protecting the security of your information and takes reasonable precautions to protect it. We use industry standard encryption to protect your data in transit. This is commonly referred to as transport layer security (“TLS”) or secure socket layer (“SSL”) technology. However, internet data transmissions, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and as a result, we cannot ensure the security of information during its transmission between you and us; accordingly, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk.
Once we receive your data, we protect it on our servers using a combination of administrative, physical and logical security safeguards. We recommend that you take the appropriate steps to secure all computing devices that you use with the GavelNote service.
If GavelNote learns of a security system breach, we may attempt to notify you and provide information on protective steps, if available, through the email address that you have provided to us or by posting a notice on our web site and/or via other communication platforms.
IV. Information Deletion
What Happens If I Want to Stop Using GavelNote?
You can delete Note Content at any time, and you can stop using the GavelNote service at any time. Contact us from the email we have on file for your account and we can assist in deactivating your account. If you deactivate your account, the Content in your account will not be deleted unless you purposely delete that information before you deactivate your account. If you delete information and material from an Outline, it will no longer be accessible to you or others who may access the Service. The GavelNote service’s back-up and archiving systems may retain residual copies of your deleted Content for up to one year due to the nature of those systems’ operations.
What Happens If GavelNote Closes My Account?
If GavelNote deactivates your GavelNote service account due to a Terms of Service violation, then you may contact GavelNote to request deletion of your data, and GavelNote will evaluate such requests on a case by case basis, pursuant to our legal obligations.
V. Contact Us
How Can I Contact GavelNote?
30539 Pinetree Road, Suite 224
Cleveland, Ohio 44124
Attention: Legal Department